You can create custom fields to track any item or folder-related details in Sortly. This is generally unique information you want to track that doesn’t fit into any of the default fields provided by Sortly.
- Custom Field Limits by Plan Type
- Creating a Custom Field
- Editing or Deleting Custom Fields
- Types of Custom Fields
Custom Field Limits by Plan Type
Free Plan - 1 Custom Field
Advanced Plan - 10 Custom Fields
Ultra Plan - 25 Custom Fields
Enterprise Plan - Unlimited Custom Fields
To see the full breakdown of each plan, please visit https://www.sortly.com/pricing/.
Creating a Custom Field
1. Go to the "settings" gear icon and click "manage custom fields". You can go right to the custom fields tab by going to the following URL: https://app.sortly.com/manage-custom-attributes/node
2. Then click on the "Add custom field" text on the top of the page or use the button in the middle of the page:
3. Select the field TYPE (see the 12 different types of custom field types here).
4. Enter the Field NAME and other optional details (depending on the field type) and click Save.
Note: You can also select if the field will apply only to items, folders, or both.
Your custom field will now show on all items and/or folders, depending on which option you chose upon creation.
Editing or Deleting Custom Fields
There may be times when you want to edit a custom field with updated information or placeholder text. To do this, from the Custom Field page, hover over the custom field you want to edit/delete. From the Actions column, choose either the pencil icon (edit) or the trashcan icon (delete).
When editing, you will only be able to update the following:
- Field Name
- Default Text
- Placeholder Text
Types of Custom Fields
Sortly users can currently create up to 12 different types of custom fields:
- Small text box (190 character limit): Alphanumeric (e.g., Customer ID, Product SKU, etc.).
- Large large box (4000 character limit): Alphanumeric (e.g., Status updates, instructions, notes, details). The content within this field is not searchable within the app.
- Number field (rounded): Number without decimals. (eg. quantity, count, etc.)
- Number field (with decimal points): Number with decimal points (e.g., Price, measurements like volume, area, length, etc.)
- Checkbox: To highlight status. It can be selected or deselected. (eg. damaged, repaired, lent, sold)
- Dropdown: Add up to 250 options in the dropdown list
- Date & time selector: Select Date & Time (eg. Sold Date, Expiry Date, Purchase date, etc.). With this custom field, you can also add date-based reminder alerts. Please see this article for more information on adding these alerts.
- Scanner: Add an additional barcode to items within Sortly. You can Scan 1D & 2D Barcodes/QR codes.
- Weblink: Add a link to a website.
- Phone Number: Add a phone number (This is clickable in the app & the web to perform the call action).
- Email: Add an email address to the items.
- File Attachment: Attach word, excel, or PDF files to your items or folders. Please note that this custom field is only available to Sortly Ultra & Enterprise users.
Can I edit the type of custom field?
You will not be able to edit the TYPE of custom field or edit it to include items and/or folders. If you need to add a custom field to an item or folder after creation, you will need to create a new custom field and select items and folders at that time.
I deleted a custom field. How can I get it back?
At this time, once a custom field is deleted, it is not recoverable.